Monday, July 13, 2009

Sinking In

Over the weekend I took a farewell tour to say bye to some friends. At first I was excited to see them, and tell them of my latest project to attend law school. They largely shared my enthusiasm. As the weekend wore on however, it hit me. There is a chance I might never see these friends again. In the past I was comforted by the fact they are only a brief flight away, and a flight that I could take at the drop of a hat. At law school they would be too far and too expensive to see. My one thick tether to them has broken.

I have never been a real social person, which may surprise some of you. Yet the past five years of my life have brought me so many friends. Friends that I feel closer to than many previous friends. Even more bittersweet is the fact that I have friends literally around the globe now, a thought unfathomable to me growing-up. It pains me to flirt with the thought that as I enter this phase of my life they may phase out.

No comments:

Post a Comment